Login Register Actian.com  

Actian Community Forum

Go Back   Actian Community Forums > Development Tools > Application Development using Java, ODBC, .NET, OpenAPI, PHP, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2009-04-09   #1 (permalink)

Default ca.ingress.jdbc.IngressDriver or ca.edbc.jdbc.EdbcDriver

Good Day;

Is it possible to use above drivers to access for the lower version of ingress db, say ca-ingress2.0 and below. i know this db is way off with the current but have an existing legacy system (running on UNIX), so if any one out there got suggestions or anything, i sure wish to listen to them... btw...i am trying to run the drivers(java) on windows....

bersil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09   #2 (permalink)
Ingres Community

Yes it is possible to use the 'older' jdbc drivers, ie,
ca.edbc.jdbc.EdbcDriver, to connect to earlier ingres versions.
seran01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09   #3 (permalink)

thanks....will try it out monday, i just tested it just now using the ingres community version and its seems fine , it's just i am a bit unsure on the lower-lower extreme lower versions (especially if the db is residing on a unix box)..
Old 2009-04-09   #4 (permalink)
Ingres Community

Yes it will connect, the only thing you have to keep in mind, is that you will need to use
the OI 2.0 or II 2.0 ingres features. It will most likely fail if you attempt to use queries that have post OI 2.0 or post ca-ingres2.0 features.
Old 2009-04-09   #5 (permalink)

I had massive problems getting the JDBC driver to work with anything below II - I was using OpenIngres 1.2 - and ended up having to use an ODBC-JDBC bridge connection.
sjand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10   #6 (permalink)
Ingres Community

I would not go to ingres releases prior to ca-ingres 2.0. They were not desgined with JAVA in mind. There used to be a third party software, 'caribou lake' that provided 'java/jdbc' engines/drivers to connect to ingres 1.2 and ingres 6.4 .
Old 2009-04-10   #7 (permalink)

Hi seran01; "need to use the OI 2.0 or II 2.0 ingres features" -- do you mean to say that the jars i should be looking out for should be the older versions. Since the one i tried (locally on a window OS - but yet to try on (UNIX) - for data extraction) is the community version -- My understaning is in two region here: (please correct me-thanks )

1."most likely fail since the queries have post OI 2.0 or post ca-ingress2.0 features" - my understanding is bordering on. I should not perform {SQL queries} above these feature (are you indicating such things as aggregate functions, complex sequel of a normal standard ANSI-92 SQL supports? could a simple select * from <target_table> still work with a "post" OI2.0/ca-ingress2.0 drivers?
or is it
2. i need to google out a OI 2.0 or II 2.0 for older jar files?
Old 2009-04-10   #8 (permalink)
Ingres Community

Hello Bersil:

What I mean is that yes, you can connect from Ingres 9.2 java to earlier ingres versions,
ca-ingres2.0. The issues are that you cannot run SQL queries with the new features in 9.2 on a ca-ingres2.0 database. ingres jdbc will check for the database version(s). A simple
'select * from table' or aggregate functions will still work on ca-ingres20.

There were several new features brought to the latest ingres 9.2

You many not easily find jars or jdbc that will make the connections any easier between
ingres 9.2 and ca-ingres2.0. As I mentioned there used be a third party software company,
called 'Caribou Lake', that would provide tools to run java applications and connect to
earlier ingres releases. I do not believe that company exists anymore, or if it does exist,
if they provide any more jdbc tools.

I apologize if I confused the answers to the question.

Regards,
Anton
Old 2009-04-11   #9 (permalink)

Hi Anton;

Thanks for the sound advices, and clarifications; I appreciate it...thanks again....See how it goes come monday....

Regards
Bersil